Contact Hours3 Hours
*NOTE: This webinar can be taken as a stand alone course or as part of the professional yoga therapist designation (PYT). What is the PYT designation? The PYT designation is a 15 module certification program for health care professionals in medical therapeutic yoga. Allied Health Education currently offers Modules 1 – 7 and Modules 10 parts 1 -4 – Module 12 as on-demand webinars that can be found under our “on-demand webinars courses” here on the website. Modules do not have to be completed in order, but is recommended. Modules 8/9 and Modules 13 – 15 are live, on-location courses.
If you think you might be interested in earning your PYT designation or would like to learn more please contact Ginger Garner at www.gingergarner.com and www.professionalyogatherapy.org.
This webinar reviews the latest evidence in injury prevalence in sport, injury prevention, and management of the shoulder complex, elbow, and spine (related to mobility) and gives the clinician the tools necessary for immediate intervention. Clinicians will see case study application(s) of a new cutting-edge evaluative paradigm that combines physical therapy and yoga (medical therapeutic yoga) for achieving safer physiological spinal motion and overall health in both medical and wellness based settings.
The biopsychosocial model assists in designing programs for both pathophysiology and prevention based and is supported by the World Health Organization and validated in numerous studies. The course also takes spinal kinematic theory and evolves yoga for increased clinical efficacy and safety.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Describe how medical yoga can improve health care and its delivery in the US.
- Apply evidence-based methodology for incorporating a biopsychosocial model into current rehabilitation programs.
- Evaluate yoga programs for safety and efficacy.
- Identify a minimum of 5 methods for use in shoulder rehabilitation or injury prevention.
- Describe safe application and appropriate use of yoga for the shoulder complex through understanding indications and contraindications.
- Identify 2 yoga pre-postures that allow for concurrent evaluation and therapeutic intervention in shoulder rehabilitation.
- Analyze a case study format in evaluation and management of a common shoulder diagnosis.
- Describe how the simultaneous application of yoga, Ayurveda, and spinal kinematics can influence and improve overall systemic health and wellbeing.
- Identify the ways spinal osteokinematics and arthrokinematics can operationalize the biopsychosocial model of assessment.
- Analyze 12 yogic postures and their symbiotic effect on spinal functional mobility, GI motility, and overall health.
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to complete a 10 question post-test with a minimum passing score of 70%.