Contact Hours2 Hours
Today’s practice – in all settings – requires therapists to be able to recognize the clinical manifestations of medical problems. Advance your knowledge of medical referral using a screening process designed for safe, effective and efficient patient management. Integrate your clinical expertise of when to treat, when to refer, and when to consult with the most current perspectives in clinical practice. This course emphasizes a detailed patient history vital to the medical screening process along with physical examination techniques related to screening the musculoskeletal system.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Compare the physical therapist’s role and responsibilities associated with the medical screening process with that of a physician’s.
- Differentiate between a review of systems and a systems review.
- Construct review of systems checklists for the various body systems.
- Integrate medical screening principles with existing examination schemes to formulate an efficient and effective patient management scheme.
- Evaluate history and physical examination findings (the “red flags”) associated with disease states and adverse medication events and decide whether communication with a physician regarding the patient’s health status is warranted.
- Identify signs and symptoms associated with selective medical conditions that would warrant immediate communication with the physician, with emphasis on conditions of the musculoskeletal, endocrine, psychological, and integumentary systems.
- Safely and effectively use physical examination screening techniques for the upper quarter, including observation of skin lesions, palpation of non-neuromusculoskeletal structures, cranial nerve screening, and also special tests for screening of the musculoskeletal system including auscultation for bony fractures.
- Implement strategies to promote an effective and efficient patient history and a patient referral to another health care practitioner.
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to complete a 10 question post-test with a minimum passing score of 70%.