Contact Hours2 Hours
Blood Flow Restriction is the process of safely restricting venous blood flow from a working muscle. This restriction simultaneously allows arterial blood flow to remain supplied to that working muscle. The process is achieved primarily with low intensity resistance training. Since the ability of that blood to escape is dramatically reduced, metabolic stress and cellular swelling are greatly increased.
What results can the health professional expect to see in their patients?
Results can be observed in markedly improved patients’ post-surgical recovery time and in treating muscle atrophy in both acute and chronic pain patients. It can be used as accessory work into your client programming for less stress on joints and tendons, can improve VO2 Max, and be another tool and treatment to utilize in your clinical toolbox.
This course will cover:
- The wide range of benefits of BFR training
- Contraindications to BFR and when and where it should be applied
- How to safely screen and assess your patient/client prior to BFR
- How to safely apply BFR cuffs for the upper and lower extremity
- Develop and devise a rehab program for your patients and clients
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Identify specific uses, benefits, effect and contra-indications for Blood Flow Restriction Procedure/Training
- Identify responses physiologically to Blood Flow Restriction Training
- Describe uses in combination with therapeutic exercise, return to sport and NMR in therapy activities
- Explain concept of BFR and mechanism of action
- Identify types, cuffs, size and style of BFR training/equipment
- Summarize research on the concept of BFR citing of recent studies
- Summarize strength training principles, post operative uses, and prescription of BFR clinically
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to respond to polling questions asked throughout the webinar & to be logged on during the entire webinar.
This course is Evidence Based Practice approved by the BOC for Athletic Trainers.