Contact Hours2 Hours
This course is a combination of lecture and written material. It assumes some knowledge and experience with yoga and is designed to help participants gain a clearer understanding of what scoliosis is, how it originates, the most common patterns, and how lifestyle habits can exacerbate it. Most importantly it addresses how scoliosis can be managed using yoga poses.
This course is relevant to OT and PT because in the case of scoliosis, the whole body develops compensatory patterns from toe to head that impact pain, function, and balance. Its management requires a whole body approach that encompasses stretching the muscles that are over tight and strengthening the muscles that are weak to elongate and derotate the spine, normalize the length tension relationship of muscles throughout the body system, decrease pain, increase functional outcomes, and provide patients with a means of self-management of their condition.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Understand the etiology, anatomy, and physiology of scoliosis and how it affects muscle and organ function.
- Learn how daily habits exacerbate scoliosis.
- Learn tools of self-assessment to teach patients.
- Learn how to recognize scoliosis patterns.
- Learn yoga poses to assess and correct muscle imbalances to align the spine through elongation and derotation.
- Obtain a written routine that can be incorporated in a home exercise program for patients to self-manage their condition.
Approved in my State?
as Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
as Occupational Therapists & Occupational Therapy Assistants
as Certified Athletic Trainers
as CSCS / CPT
Satisfactory completion of this course will require the participant to complete a 10 question post-test with a minimum passing score of 70%.